Qantas has launched a new virtual reality app – Qantas VR - giving customers an interactive new way to discover and explore destinations before physically travelling there.
Available for iPhone, Android, Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive devices, the app showcases Australia's distinctive landscape through a series of immersive videos, including never before seen aerial footage of Uluru and Kata Tjuta.
The app offers two modes: split screen for those who have a compatible headset or Google Cardboard and 2D landscape for viewing directly on a smartphone. Users can also book Qantas flights to the featured destinations directly from the app.
Qantas first offered virtual reality to customers last year, trialling an industry-first virtual reality experience with Samsung Gear VR headsets in its First-Class cabin and Lounges.
Qantas Group Executive Brand, Marketing, Corporate Affairs Olivia Wirth said the app is an innovative way for travellers to plan their trip to Australia.
“Our aim with the new virtual reality app is to connect with travellers by showcasing parts of Australia they may not be familiar with.
“Customers loved our trial of VR headsets last year, but we wanted to take it to another level and make it more accessible. Anyone with an iPhone or Android phone can take a virtual tour of Kakdu National Park, for instance, then book a flight directly from the app and see it in person.” said Mrs. Wirth.
The app was created by the Australian virtual reality company, Start VR. CEO and Creative Director of Start VR, Kain Tietzel, said the app opens up new opportunities for prospective travellers researching destinations.
“The app allows us to share the story of Australia to an international audience in a way that is more intimate, engaging and interactive than we have been able to tell it before. The amazing audio and visuals offer international travellers coming to Australia a new insight into our culture, heritage and local stories,” said Mr. Tietzel.
The app launches today with thirteen videos with additional content to progressively roll out over the weeks. The app can be downloaded free from the App Store, Google Play, or compatible headset app stores. For more information, visit Qantas.com/VR.
Videos available on the Qantas VR App include:
Northern Territory - Tourism Northern Territory and Voyages were key tourism partners for the development of the Northern Territory content, which includes videos of Field of Light, Ormiston Gorge in Alice Springs, Kata Tjuta, and a bike ride around Uluru. Working in partnership with Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park Board and the Film and Photography Consultative Committee, Grainger Films captured a rare glimpse of one of the most recognisable natural rock formations in the world – the first time a drone had ever been allowed at the site. Additional videos include:
- Kakdu National Park – Relax on a sunset river cruise at Yellow Water Billabong, experience a guided tour of Australian Aboriginal rock art at Ubirr and swim in the water holes at Maguk and Gunlom Falls in the outback.
- Field of Light – Uluru - Experience Bruce Munro's internationally acclaimed Field of Light art installation at iconic Uluru.
- Helicopter Flight – Uluru - Experience an aerial view of Uluru – one of the great natural wonders of the world. Take a seat and enjoy your access to all areas with this scenic helicopter flight.
- Indigenous Dance – Uluru - Experience an indigenous dance from Anangu –traditional owners of the land.
- Hot Air Balloon – Alice Springs - A hot air balloon ride is a fun way to experience the marvellous landscape of Alice Springs and surrounds. Come and join the ascent and enjoy the panoramic landscape of outback Australia.
- Ormiston Gorge - Ormiston Gorge showcases the spectacular geology and wildlife of the West MacDonnell ranges. Experience the native fauna and flora and the waterhole – all which form to create a unique experience.
- Hamilton Island Escape – Fly with the pilots in the cockpit of a Qantas jet as it lands at Hamilton Island airport, relax at Qualia resort, swim in the Great Barrier Reef, enjoy a helicopter tour and sail to Whitehaven Beach.
New South Wales
- Experience Sydney Harbour – Stand on the shores of Circular Quay, enjoy the iconic sights of the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge, fly above Sydney Harbour and along the Sydney coastline.
- Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge – Take in the sights and sounds of the city as you climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Watch as the traffic and boats pass below you and celebrate the view with your fellow climbers at the top.
- Experience Vivid Sydney – Vivid Sydney, the festival of Lights, Music and Ideas illuminates Sydney each winter. See the Sydney harbour Bridge and other icons become an outdoor gallery of lighting sculptures.